Department Support Assistant -- Mid-Continent Public Library -- Independence, MO
IRS - Department Support Assistant - Administrative Headquarters
Position Overview: (Position will expire no later than March 23)
To apply: www.mymcpl.org
The Department Support Assistant is responsible for modeling excellent customer service to all staff and customers by assisting with Mid-Continent Public Library’s (MCPL) Book Group Services, Library-by-Mail, and Square One Small Business. This is a full-time Non-Exempt position with a starting minimum salary of $28,459.00 plus benefits.
Reports to: Assistant Information and Reader Services Manager
- Supports, promotes, implements, and makes decisions based on established Library policies, guidelines, and programs
- Knowledge and support of the principles of intellectual freedom including the Library Bill of Rights and the Freedom to Read statement
- Models excellent customer service attitude and delivery, supporting a collaborative and inclusive workplace
- Consistently meets expectations set forth in Non-Exempt Employee Expectations Documents
Essential Job Functions:
- Sends and receives book group kits to and from MCPL branches and out-of-district libraries using book group software
- Has a thorough knowledge of the book group management software, including but not limited to, adding and deleting kit titles and reserving kits for groups
- Manages and updates out-of-system book group accounts
- Maintains Kit collection digitally and physically by periodically inventorying and weeding the stack room and managing Kit records
- Creates and manages added value content, including book trailers, discussion questions, author bios, etc. through Google Docs
- Selects from deselected material to make extra kits of discussable books
- Assists with adult reading initiatives to get active book group participation
- Assists Library-by-Mail by placing wellness calls to customers
- Assists Small Business Services by calling to confirm registration for events
Non-essential Job Functions:
- Assists with training and in-services related to the department
- Markets and promotes Book Group Services and Library-by-Mail
- Assists with adult literacy initiatives
- Attends professional trainings
- Connects authors to book groups
- Models excellent customer service attitude and delivery
- Demonstrates proven computer literacy with adequate keyboarding skills
- Uses effective verbal, written, and discreet communication with management, co-workers, and the public
- Exhibits self-motivation with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and planning skills with ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently
- Detail oriented
- Readers’ advisory experience preferred
Experience and Training:
- High school diploma or equivalent. Some college coursework is desirable.
- 2-3 years of Library experience preferred
- Competent in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge in PowerPoint and Publisher is helpful.
- Knowledge of Workflows or other library software.
- Public speaking and presentation skills.
Essential Physical Abilities to be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodation are:
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate well with the supervisor and other employees.
- Sufficient vision which permits the employee to produce and review a wide variety of library materials, written correspondence, reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity which permits the employee to operate a keyboard and any other assigned equipment.
- Sufficient personal mobility which permits the employee to monitor, supervise, and perform assigned library operations, and to attend Library meetings at various locations. The employee must be able to lift up to 40 pounds, push and pull carts weighing up to 200 pounds, bend, stoop and reach shelving from floor level to 6 feet high.
- Sufficient tolerance for dust and mold which permits the employee to work with books and other library materials as well as working in older buildings.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.